Skip to main content

Resolutions

With January comes the resolution. A fresh start, a way to make amends with all the exercise that didn't occur throughout the prior year, a new recognition that swimsuit season really isn't that far away, and renewed energy to adjust habits that have gone south. I'm not an annual resolver, but  an article in the New York Times last weekend  made me reconsider. The article was about a Seattle woman whose husband was killed four years ago while riding his bike. An unexpected tragedy to be sure and one that left this woman and her two children in a precarious position. Chanel Reynolds and her husband had drafted a will but had not yet officially signed the documents, so on top of all the grief she felt was this overwhelming fear of how she would truly carry on. How much money was in the checking account? What were all the accounts they had, and what were the passwords that her husband kept in his head? Why had she and her husband not finished some of the tasks that grown-ups are expected to take care of before something like this occurs? The struggles she faced led to a website with a very appropriate name that the NY Times could not fully publish. You'll see why when you click on the link. But the title mirrored exactly what Chanel Reynolds was feeling, seeing her husband in the ICU and knowing he was going to die. It was time to get her act together, and you and I are all the better for the work that went into creating this website.



The section called "Thoughts" is, in my opinion, the most powerful part of the site and the one that sets her website apart from others that help with the nitty gritty details of drafting a will. Her thoughts are based on a very painful experience, but they pertain to us all. "As you are writing your will and you ask yourself who will carry out your wishes, care for your children, advocate for you medically or pull the plug on you as you wish them to: If you are at a loss for whom to name, get out there and tighten up your friends and family relationships. Find some better friends. Be a better friend. This is everything." Even if your will is current and signed, these thoughts are worth pondering. She goes on, "Something I’ve noticed that appears even more painful than all of that loss, is regret and remorse. Time wasted, anger left to take root, opportunities squandered, lost time that is now really gone forever...Do not one day find yourself having missed out on something because you were too busy being angry, too invested in being done wrong by someone, too shy to speak your mind, to say how you feel, to admit you were wrong. Don’t be afraid to live your life exactly as you would like to live it. Be brave. Be mindful. Clean up your messes. Be honest and vulnerable. It’s really not the worst thing that can happen."  I was particularly struck by the section titled "Leaving Traces". Are there photos or videos of you? Pieces of clothing, favorite CDs, artwork? Are there physical objects, beyond your iphone, that your loved ones can hold? One of my favorite mementos of my dad is a short biography he crafted before his mind made that difficult to do so. It's incomplete but still a treasure. And I would give anything to have more photos of my mom, but she was always the one behind the camera. So make a point of smiling more for the camera, create items for loved ones to remember you by, share yourself with others. All fine resolutions to make and make happen. Happy New Year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching Old Dogs New Tricks

During my second year of teaching I had a parent who prefaced every conversation by saying, "Well, you know, I AM a psychologist..." Code speak for, "You are a young, lowly teacher who knows nothing, so let me enlighten you." I WAS young and new at the profession, not wise to the realities of parenting, but I wasn't stupid. Midway through October, I did what most every teacher I know does when group dynamics call for a disruption -- I changed the seating order in my classroom. Now, had I been a psychologist, I would have known that this was a dangerous thing to do to kids. My psychologist parent helped me see the light. "I AM a psychologist," the conversation once again began, "and humans are creatures of habit. In a large lecture hall, students will naturally gravitate to the same seat, day after day. Your students are being harmed by this new seating arrangement." Now back in the day I had to go up to the school office to take phone calls b

Getting To the Root of the Matter

Curcuma longa is the botanical name for a plant whose rhizome harnesses incredible healing power. We know it as turmeric, the bright orange spice that is produced from the plant's root, and it has been used for over 4,500 years as an important part of Ayurveda, one of the world's oldest forms of medicine. Like snow to the native people of Alaska, turmeric has over a hundred different terms in the Ayurvedic world. Jayanti , one victorious over diseases, relates to the lengthy list of health maladies this powerful spice has been used to fight: inflammation, cholesterol, heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis, digestion, gallstones, cuts and burns, colds and sore throats, and (my favorite) leech bites. Matrimanika , beautiful as moonlight, is another name for the versatile spice and refers to its historical use in Indian wedding ceremonies where the bride and groom rub a paste with turmeric all over their bodies, providing them each with a special glow and promise of matrimonial pr

Cheaper by the Dozen

Beautiful, aren't they? There's something about farm fresh eggs that almost makes me want to quit my day job and become a lady farmer. Almost. For now I will settle for my son's occasional post as head keeper of a friend's menagerie, which happens to include ten chickens. Fortunately for me, these chickens are prolific producers, so when our friends go on vacation, we are the happy recipients of many  beautiful eggs. At first we revel in the most scrumptious omelets and scrambled concoctions. By day four or five, however, I admit to often having egg overload. Not this time. As soon as these eggs started appearing, I began thinking about Ramos Gin Fizzes because when made the old fashioned way, they contain an egg white. If you're like me, this news would normally bring a halt to my experimentation. But my new stock of farm fresh eggs gave me reason to carry on because they came from chickens that I have watched cluck and roost, and that makes all the differen