Skip to main content

State of Mind, State of Body

Many years ago I competed in triathlons, and one race always sticks out in my mind. Actually, it's one moment from one race. I was on the bike leg, which for me was always my strongest. As I was riding along and happily gaining ground on all the folks who were stronger swimmers, another woman came up alongside and said, "Hey, nice bike." We chatted for half a minute about the finer points of Cannondale bikes, and then she sped off. When I looked down at her calf muscle and saw the permanent pen markings that indicated her age, I read five zero, fifteen years my senior! Humbled? Yes. Impressed? Very much so.

I have long been drawn to older, fit folks. If you've been a longtime reader of my blog, you might remember when I wrote about George Garside and the Auckland Cycle Touring Association. This was a group of incredibly fit 60, 70, and 80 year old men I was privileged to ride with once, and the experience definitely left its mark. These men took their fitness seriously, and their youthful faces illustrated the benefits.

This past fall I came back to the sport of rowing. I learned it in college, pursued it for one short season right before getting pregnant with our daughter, and then struggled to find a way to raise kids, work, and fit in time on the water. Rowing requires a lot of time, something that the empty nest and unemployment has afforded me. By luck, I stumbled into a group of mostly women who have been rowing together for years. These are some incredibly fit women. When I first met them, I had no idea just how wide the age range was, but as I started to get to know them and began hearing some talk of their grand kids -- well, the math indicated that once again I was being schooled by women who had a good fifteen years on me. And once again, I was both humbled and impressed. These women have an inspiring youthfulness that is both external and internal. And while I think of myself as always doing the looking up, perhaps, just maybe, one day someone will do the looking up to me. That would be nice.

It's January, and this always seems to bring an uptick in people's desire to eat and drink healthfully, so I will bypass sweet baked goods and alcoholic beverages and pass along a granola recipe I recently came to love. Let me just say that oats and I have not always gotten along. When I was a kid at camp in Vermont, I always detested the mornings when I came down to the dining hall to discover hot oatmeal in our breakfast bowls. Oatmeal cookies? A waste of time and good sugar. In its crunchier form, granola was a little more appealing, but just a little. Then I started backpacking with my husband, and one morning I was just hungry enough to start to see an ounce of good in my cup of instant oatmeal. The progression was slow, but eventually mornings came when I actually reached for oatmeal at home. And I learned that when you add chocolate chips to oatmeal cookies, they can be quite delicious. Liking granola extended from the discovery that I love muesli, and for years I was quite content to make a recipe from a well-worn Jane Brody cookbook. Then came the New York Times Cooking website.

Some days I just open it up to look at the pictures and gain inspiration. It was on such an occasion that I learned about a restaurant in Manhattan called Eleven Madison Park where diners receive a little container of homemade granola after their dinner for the next morning's breakfast. Ingenious! The recipe, adapted from the restaurant's, was a dismal failure. But the bones of the recipe seemed sound, so I did some tweaking and came up with one that I find delicious -- with milk, on yogurt, or however one chooses to eat granola. Happy New Year. Enjoy!


Granola (adapted from The New York Times who adapted from Eleven Madison Park)
3 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut (I use Bob's Red Mill)
1 cup slivered almonds
1/3 cup pistachios (lightly salted are fine)
1/3 cup unsalted pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup each: olive oil, brown sugar, and maple syrup
1 cup dried sour cherries

Preheat oven to 300.
In a mixing bowl combine the oats, coconut, almonds, pistachios, and pumpkin seeds. Do NOT add the cherries yet!
On the stove, heat up the olive oil, brown sugar, and maple sugar in a small pan until the brown sugar dissolves. This doesn't take long. Slowly pour this mixture over the oats mixture and mix well.
Spread the oats on a sheet pan and bake for about 25 minutes. I typically leave it untouched for the first half, and then check regularly during the second half so that it doesn't get too browned. I also mix up the granola every 5 minutes or so during the second half.
Once cooked, put the granola in a bowl and add the cherries. Mix well. The heat of the granola will soften the cherries just a bit but won't turn them into filling pullers for your teeth!


Comments

  1. You spurred memories when I was learning to road cycle in a pack. The guy I was dating was an avid cyclist, so I (of course) took it up. We would get up bright and early to cycle with his club. He went off and I connected with these wonderful "older" men who taught me how to ride in a group (I was in my mid 20s). I wish I was riding like those men, now. Age is not the deciding factor. Thanks for a great post and bringing back fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you had your own "Auckland Cycle Touring" experience! It's so nice to learn from those with grace and wisdom.

      Delete
  2. Loved reading your thoughts which echo mine about the inspiration you and these women give us when we are rowing on the water or on the ergs! We are learning to pass it on if we can keep up with them in the years to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed. You strike me as someone who will easily keep up, Libbie! Thanks for reading my blog:)

      Delete
  3. This is the best blog, in the history, of the world. Thanks Jo! -Chuck D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just seeing your comment, Chuck! Wow, you are TOO kind!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching Old Dogs New Tricks

During my second year of teaching I had a parent who prefaced every conversation by saying, "Well, you know, I AM a psychologist..." Code speak for, "You are a young, lowly teacher who knows nothing, so let me enlighten you." I WAS young and new at the profession, not wise to the realities of parenting, but I wasn't stupid. Midway through October, I did what most every teacher I know does when group dynamics call for a disruption -- I changed the seating order in my classroom. Now, had I been a psychologist, I would have known that this was a dangerous thing to do to kids. My psychologist parent helped me see the light. "I AM a psychologist," the conversation once again began, "and humans are creatures of habit. In a large lecture hall, students will naturally gravitate to the same seat, day after day. Your students are being harmed by this new seating arrangement." Now back in the day I had to go up to the school office to take phone calls b

Getting To the Root of the Matter

Curcuma longa is the botanical name for a plant whose rhizome harnesses incredible healing power. We know it as turmeric, the bright orange spice that is produced from the plant's root, and it has been used for over 4,500 years as an important part of Ayurveda, one of the world's oldest forms of medicine. Like snow to the native people of Alaska, turmeric has over a hundred different terms in the Ayurvedic world. Jayanti , one victorious over diseases, relates to the lengthy list of health maladies this powerful spice has been used to fight: inflammation, cholesterol, heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis, digestion, gallstones, cuts and burns, colds and sore throats, and (my favorite) leech bites. Matrimanika , beautiful as moonlight, is another name for the versatile spice and refers to its historical use in Indian wedding ceremonies where the bride and groom rub a paste with turmeric all over their bodies, providing them each with a special glow and promise of matrimonial pr

Cheaper by the Dozen

Beautiful, aren't they? There's something about farm fresh eggs that almost makes me want to quit my day job and become a lady farmer. Almost. For now I will settle for my son's occasional post as head keeper of a friend's menagerie, which happens to include ten chickens. Fortunately for me, these chickens are prolific producers, so when our friends go on vacation, we are the happy recipients of many  beautiful eggs. At first we revel in the most scrumptious omelets and scrambled concoctions. By day four or five, however, I admit to often having egg overload. Not this time. As soon as these eggs started appearing, I began thinking about Ramos Gin Fizzes because when made the old fashioned way, they contain an egg white. If you're like me, this news would normally bring a halt to my experimentation. But my new stock of farm fresh eggs gave me reason to carry on because they came from chickens that I have watched cluck and roost, and that makes all the differen