Skip to main content

Cheaper by the Dozen

Beautiful, aren't they?


There's something about farm fresh eggs that almost makes me want to quit my day job and become a lady farmer. Almost. For now I will settle for my son's occasional post as head keeper of a friend's menagerie, which happens to include ten chickens. Fortunately for me, these chickens are prolific producers, so when our friends go on vacation, we are the happy recipients of many  beautiful eggs. At first we revel in the most scrumptious omelets and scrambled concoctions. By day four or five, however, I admit to often having egg overload. Not this time. As soon as these eggs started appearing, I began thinking about Ramos Gin Fizzes because when made the old fashioned way, they contain an egg white. If you're like me, this news would normally bring a halt to my experimentation. But my new stock of farm fresh eggs gave me reason to carry on because they came from chickens that I have watched cluck and roost, and that makes all the difference.

 My main connection to Ramos Gin Fizzes comes from my dad. You see, he was a huge fan of this drink, particularly the ones made at the Alta Mira Inn in Sausalito, California. He loved these drinks so much that he had written the recipe down on a cocktail napkin and taped it to the inside of one of our kitchen cabinets. I grew up seeing that little napkin with my dad's handwriting every time I went to get a glass. If only I had that napkin now. 

The Ramos Gin Fizz, it turns out, is not a beginner's drink, and if true be told I probably don't have any business trying to learn how to make one of these drinks, let alone blog about it. But there's a part of me that feels as though this drink is in my blood, and it's my duty to figure out just what exactly was written on that napkin. My early research instantly brought up several recipes that claimed to be the original Alta Mira recipe, and all were quite different. There are certain similarities, however, among recipes for Ramos Gin Fizzes, whether they claim to be the Alta Mira recipe or not. Gin, sugar in some form, a sour component, cream, ice, and orange blossom water. This last ingredient is not an easy one to find, but many claim it is is a key ingredient. I ordered mine online, but you will probably find it in larger liquor stores. Some recipes shake the drink for as long as your muscles can stand; others use a blender. Some use ice cubes and others use crushed ice. Some add club soda at the end; my preference is to leave out this step. Legend has it that the originator of this drink, Henry Ramos, had a line-up of "shaker boys" who each took 30-second turns shaking the drink until the proper 12-minute mark arrived, at which time the drink had a beautiful meringue-like consistency. I, unfortunately, did not have a crew of shaker boys in my kitchen while experimenting with recipes, but I assure you that my technique with the Boston shaker has improved tremendously and my arms are far more buff. So here is my own recipe for a Ramos Gin Fizz. I found it easier to measure with tablespoons and teaspoons -- must be the baker in me.  It's not the original, but I think worthy of a napkin inside one of my own kitchen cabinets.


 Start the drink by combining all the ingredients and shake for 10 seconds. Then add 3 large ice cubes, turn on some good dance music, and shake until you can barely hear the ice shaking around the mixer. Pour the contents into a chilled cocktail glass and sprinkle with fresh nutmeg. And in case you're wondering, simple syrup can be found at liquor stores, but it's very easy to make at home. Bring 1 cup of water to a boil and add 1 cup of sugar. Stir continuously until the sugar has dissolved and remove from heat. You can store what you don't use in the refrigerator.

Ramos gin fizzes are a classic brunch ingredient, so if your chickens are laying, here's another family favorite that will help round out a memorable meal. I'm not sure who David Eyre was. I think the recipe goes back to an old PTA cookbook, so perhaps he was a parent at the elementary school my brother and sister and I attended. As parents pass, there are just some questions that go unanswered. I miss  many things about my parents. Sometimes I just want to hear the sound of their voice, sometimes I want their advice or their listening ear, and sometimes I want their expertise with items as crucial as the recipe for a Ramos Gin Fizz or the heritage of David Eyre. Rarely does a day go by when I do not think of them. Cheers to you, mom and dad.


David Eyre's Pancake

1/2 cup flour
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
pinch nutmeg
1/2 stick butter
2T confectioner's sugar
1/2 lemon

Preheat oven to 425. Combine eggs, flour, milk, and nutmeg. Beat lightly (batter can be lumpy).
Place butter in an over-proof 12-inch skillet and place in the oven to melt. Once melted, pour in the batter.
Bake 15-20 minutes.
Sprinkle with lemon juice and confectioner's sugar.
This will serve 4 as long as you have some other tasty brunch items; otherwise, this is best for just two.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching Old Dogs New Tricks

During my second year of teaching I had a parent who prefaced every conversation by saying, "Well, you know, I AM a psychologist..." Code speak for, "You are a young, lowly teacher who knows nothing, so let me enlighten you." I WAS young and new at the profession, not wise to the realities of parenting, but I wasn't stupid. Midway through October, I did what most every teacher I know does when group dynamics call for a disruption -- I changed the seating order in my classroom. Now, had I been a psychologist, I would have known that this was a dangerous thing to do to kids. My psychologist parent helped me see the light. "I AM a psychologist," the conversation once again began, "and humans are creatures of habit. In a large lecture hall, students will naturally gravitate to the same seat, day after day. Your students are being harmed by this new seating arrangement." Now back in the day I had to go up to the school office to take phone calls b

Getting To the Root of the Matter

Curcuma longa is the botanical name for a plant whose rhizome harnesses incredible healing power. We know it as turmeric, the bright orange spice that is produced from the plant's root, and it has been used for over 4,500 years as an important part of Ayurveda, one of the world's oldest forms of medicine. Like snow to the native people of Alaska, turmeric has over a hundred different terms in the Ayurvedic world. Jayanti , one victorious over diseases, relates to the lengthy list of health maladies this powerful spice has been used to fight: inflammation, cholesterol, heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis, digestion, gallstones, cuts and burns, colds and sore throats, and (my favorite) leech bites. Matrimanika , beautiful as moonlight, is another name for the versatile spice and refers to its historical use in Indian wedding ceremonies where the bride and groom rub a paste with turmeric all over their bodies, providing them each with a special glow and promise of matrimonial pr