Skip to main content

The Bitter Truth

If you know me, you may still be shaking your head a bit, wondering how and why I would start writing about cocktails. I, too, sometimes catch myself and wonder the same thing. It wasn't  a book of fiction in my hands last night before going to bed, it was a book all about bitters! And to be totally honest, I found it compelling reading. Mid-life crisis gone haywire? I really don't think so. To me, this new-found interest in beverages is just a natural extension of my love for cooking and baking.  There is also great lore around cocktails and the ingredients that go into them, which helps feed the history buff in me. In fact, just last night as I was immersed in Brad Thomas Parsons' book on bitters, I learned of the "Great Angostura Shortage of 2009-2010". I, apparently, am a few years off in discovering the allure of the little bottle with the over-sized label because demand for it in 2009 became so great that the company  became overwhelmed with orders, creating a horrible supply/demand disaster for bitter aficionados. Angostura was nowhere to be found. Popularity of the product was growing, the company that manufactures the bottles had trouble keeping up with orders, and many a bartender scrambled to replace a flavor they had grown accustomed to.  One upside of The Great Shortage was the growth of micro bitters brewers. Say that ten times as fast as you can. Mr. Parsons himself highlights almost two dozen small scale bitters makers, and he includes a section on making your own. So if you're keen to find some gentian root and eye of newt, you, too, could make your own bitters. I was joking about eye of newt.

There is another reason for my interest in learning about drinks. I have long had this desire to be able to go up to a bartender and rattle off a list of drinks I might like to try. Better yet if I can help said bartender should he or she be uncertain of the ingredients. Before I started this blog, that list of "go to" drinks could be counted (very easily) on one hand. So dismal was my knowledge that I  traditionally settled for wine. But now that I am curling up in bed with books about cocktails and bitters, I am happy to report that my drink list is starting to extend to my other hand.

My first exposure to cocktails came my freshman year in college thanks to New York state's very generous drinking age of 18. The one-light town where my college was located had more bars than was truly necessary for a student body that seldom reached 2,000 any given semester. The go-to drink back then, when it wasn't Rolling Rock, was the whiskey sour. When we were feeling really ambitious, we might order an Amaretto sour. So grown-up were we. I don't  find whiskey to be an automatic love, but I do enjoy whiskey sours. After tackling gin fizzes last weekend, I thought that scaling back to a whiskey sour this week would be a wise decision. Turns out, sours aren't as easy as they seem, especially if you are avoiding store-bought sour mixes. Somehow, it just didn't seem right for me not to learn to make my own.

Naively I thought making my own sour mix would be as easy as simple syrup. I should have noticed that they don't call it Simple Sour Mix. The basic ingredients are always the same: water, sugar, and sour in the form of lemon juice and/or lime juice. But the balance of ingredients varies widely, so there's personal preference to consider when mixing.

And then there's whiskey. Do you have any idea how many types of whiskey exist on liquor store shelves? And have you ever stepped foot in one of those mega liquor stores? Overwhelming does not begin to describe what happens when a neophyte like myself goes down aisle after aisle of alcohol. I blindly chose Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey for no other reason than its familiar name and reasonable price. When I got home with my little bottle, I was relieved to find a recipe for whiskey sours by Ina Garten that called specifically for this type of whiskey, but I'm sure there are others that would say I chose all wrong. It will take many more years of blogging before I can educate you on the finer points of whiskey.  Remember that I am just trying to extend my go-to list beyond one hand right now.

So here's the recipe. As I said, I fiddled with the balance of ingredients to figure out what tasted right to me. And I will honestly admit that sampling one the other day at 2 o'clock in the afternoon did seem a little strange, but this is the sacrifice I make for you, dear readers. To be honest, most of my "samples" ended up down the drain, so it's really my wallet that suffers the most. Yes, that is a maraschino cherry garnishing the drink -- definitely not one of my favorites but used solely for color. I've begun researching better alternatives, but the Italian cherries I ordered just haven't arrived yet. I'll save that discussion for a future blog. This recipe makes a little more than will fit in a cocktail glass, so you can keep the extra for a refill or hand out as a sample. Your choice.  

Whiskey Sour
1 1/2 oz. whiskey (I used Tennessee)
1 oz. fresh lime juice
1 oz. fresh lemon juice
2 generous ounces of simple syrup

Pour the ingredients into a shaker and add 4 to 6 ice cubes, depending on how strong you would like your drink. I use cubes that are roughly 1-inch cubed (yes, that picture up above was placed there for more than decorative reasons). Shake vigorously for at least 20 seconds; this will help develop a nice foam on top. Garnish with an orange slice and cherry.

Ege'sze'ge're! (That's "Here's to You" in Hungarian. Do they drink whiskey sours in Hungary? I have no idea.)

Comments

  1. I need to make sure to read your posts during cocktail hours because I always want to make the drink. And, unlike you I don't have a blog to blame for my mid-day tippling. (Is tippling a real word?)
    I appreciate your connection between cocktails and cooking. I love playing with recipes and trying to replicate something I've had at a restaurant, but it never occurred to me to make my own sour mix. What fun. I love limes and am always looking for new ways to use them. Hmm, now I am going to have to start checking two cupboards when I make a shopping list. Good thing we can get liquor at the grocery store now. Salud! (Kelly)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad to be responsible for expanding your shopping list and hope your pantry is soon filled with limes and lemons that can feed the urge for a fresh whiskey (or amaretto) sour. Happy tippling!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching Old Dogs New Tricks

During my second year of teaching I had a parent who prefaced every conversation by saying, "Well, you know, I AM a psychologist..." Code speak for, "You are a young, lowly teacher who knows nothing, so let me enlighten you." I WAS young and new at the profession, not wise to the realities of parenting, but I wasn't stupid. Midway through October, I did what most every teacher I know does when group dynamics call for a disruption -- I changed the seating order in my classroom. Now, had I been a psychologist, I would have known that this was a dangerous thing to do to kids. My psychologist parent helped me see the light. "I AM a psychologist," the conversation once again began, "and humans are creatures of habit. In a large lecture hall, students will naturally gravitate to the same seat, day after day. Your students are being harmed by this new seating arrangement." Now back in the day I had to go up to the school office to take phone calls b

Getting To the Root of the Matter

Curcuma longa is the botanical name for a plant whose rhizome harnesses incredible healing power. We know it as turmeric, the bright orange spice that is produced from the plant's root, and it has been used for over 4,500 years as an important part of Ayurveda, one of the world's oldest forms of medicine. Like snow to the native people of Alaska, turmeric has over a hundred different terms in the Ayurvedic world. Jayanti , one victorious over diseases, relates to the lengthy list of health maladies this powerful spice has been used to fight: inflammation, cholesterol, heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis, digestion, gallstones, cuts and burns, colds and sore throats, and (my favorite) leech bites. Matrimanika , beautiful as moonlight, is another name for the versatile spice and refers to its historical use in Indian wedding ceremonies where the bride and groom rub a paste with turmeric all over their bodies, providing them each with a special glow and promise of matrimonial pr

Cheaper by the Dozen

Beautiful, aren't they? There's something about farm fresh eggs that almost makes me want to quit my day job and become a lady farmer. Almost. For now I will settle for my son's occasional post as head keeper of a friend's menagerie, which happens to include ten chickens. Fortunately for me, these chickens are prolific producers, so when our friends go on vacation, we are the happy recipients of many  beautiful eggs. At first we revel in the most scrumptious omelets and scrambled concoctions. By day four or five, however, I admit to often having egg overload. Not this time. As soon as these eggs started appearing, I began thinking about Ramos Gin Fizzes because when made the old fashioned way, they contain an egg white. If you're like me, this news would normally bring a halt to my experimentation. But my new stock of farm fresh eggs gave me reason to carry on because they came from chickens that I have watched cluck and roost, and that makes all the differen