Skip to main content

Sun. Fog.

It snowed at our house ten days ago, somewhere between a half inch and an inch, and that light dusting still lingers. On days when blue skies prevail, the sun does its best to begin the melting process, but that's a difficult proposition when the thermometer stays below freezing. Then the fog settles in, encasing that light dusting in another layer of frost. Sun. Fog. Sun. Fog. Fog. Fog.

Resolutions, as we all know, are hard to maintain. When the sun comes out I feel empowered to take them on. But when the fog rolls back in, all I want is a warm blanket and a comfy couch. Resolutions be gone. Is this how people my age start thinking longingly about places like Florida and Arizona? Am I just getting soft in my old age?



This schizophrenia, I fear, has trickled down into my drink choices. I have struggled these last few weeks to find a direction for my mixological ways. When blue skies prevail, I think about light summertime drinks. But when the skies are grey and the air heavy with fog, my taste buds seek the weight of comfort food and drink. Such is the difficulty of life in the Northwest during the month of January. As a result, I offer up two very different recipes, and depending on your mood, you will hopefully find a place for both of these drinks during the dark and cold winter months. Unless, of course, you are reading this in Florida or Arizona; your drink choices are probably far more straightforward.

The B-52 seems like the ideal winter drink with the worst possible name. Nevertheless, it's perfect for sipping on a cold foggy night while watching an episode of Downton Abbey. Somewhere along the way I acquired these pretty little cordial glasses that hold about an ounce of liquid.The original recipe calls for 3/4 of an ounce of each liquer, which is enough to make it difficult for me to last through an entire episode. Consider my recipe a "B-52 Light". The trick with the B-52 comes in creating the layers, so you want to make sure you add them in the order they are listed. Think back to chemistry class and the laws of density. The first layer is the easiest. Just pour the Kahlua down the middle. Once in, tilt the glass so you can pour the Baileys in a thin stream down the side of the glass so that it sits on top of the Kahlua. If this proves too difficult, try pouring it slowly over the back of a spoon and down the side of the glass. Then do the same with the Grand Marnier. This is the strongest of the three liquers, so you may opt to go a bit lighter with the final layer. Once made, find yourself a comfy chair and enjoy the many quips of the Dowager Countess of Grantham while you sip your beverage.

B-52 "Light"
1/4 ounce Kahlua
1/4 ounce Bailey's Irish Cream
1/4 ounce Grand Marnier

Should you seek an escape from the winter doldrums, consider the Caipirosca, which is a popular cocktail in Brazil, Uruguay, and Argentina -- far more exciting locales than Miami and Sun City. The best thing about the Caipirosca, besides its name and origin, is the fact that it's a drink that requires muddling. Now my sister, purveyor of all fine things, foresaw my need for a muddler and sent me one for Christmas; I have been looking for an excuse to use it ever since. What, you ask, is a muddler? A tiny baseball bat. And a tool used for mashing up fruit and/or herbs in order to release their oils and flavors.

Caipirosca
1/2 lime, quartered
1 ounce brown sugar syrup (made just like a simple syrup but with brown sugar)
1 to 1 1/2 ounces of vodka, depending on how strong you want your drink

Place the lime quarters in the bottom of a shaker, add the syrup, and muddle. You do not need to pulverize the fruit, just muddle enough to release the oils from the skin. Fill a cocktail glass 3/4 full with cracked ice (just place ice cubes in a towel and hit with a meat tenderizer or similar instrument) and then pour the ice and the vodka into the shaker. Shake well and pour the entire contents back into the cocktail glass. This is a very refreshing drink that is sure to transport you away from your winter doldrums and onto a beach in Rio de Janeiro. At least until the fog rolls back in...Saude!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching Old Dogs New Tricks

During my second year of teaching I had a parent who prefaced every conversation by saying, "Well, you know, I AM a psychologist..." Code speak for, "You are a young, lowly teacher who knows nothing, so let me enlighten you." I WAS young and new at the profession, not wise to the realities of parenting, but I wasn't stupid. Midway through October, I did what most every teacher I know does when group dynamics call for a disruption -- I changed the seating order in my classroom. Now, had I been a psychologist, I would have known that this was a dangerous thing to do to kids. My psychologist parent helped me see the light. "I AM a psychologist," the conversation once again began, "and humans are creatures of habit. In a large lecture hall, students will naturally gravitate to the same seat, day after day. Your students are being harmed by this new seating arrangement." Now back in the day I had to go up to the school office to take phone calls b

Getting To the Root of the Matter

Curcuma longa is the botanical name for a plant whose rhizome harnesses incredible healing power. We know it as turmeric, the bright orange spice that is produced from the plant's root, and it has been used for over 4,500 years as an important part of Ayurveda, one of the world's oldest forms of medicine. Like snow to the native people of Alaska, turmeric has over a hundred different terms in the Ayurvedic world. Jayanti , one victorious over diseases, relates to the lengthy list of health maladies this powerful spice has been used to fight: inflammation, cholesterol, heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis, digestion, gallstones, cuts and burns, colds and sore throats, and (my favorite) leech bites. Matrimanika , beautiful as moonlight, is another name for the versatile spice and refers to its historical use in Indian wedding ceremonies where the bride and groom rub a paste with turmeric all over their bodies, providing them each with a special glow and promise of matrimonial pr

Cheaper by the Dozen

Beautiful, aren't they? There's something about farm fresh eggs that almost makes me want to quit my day job and become a lady farmer. Almost. For now I will settle for my son's occasional post as head keeper of a friend's menagerie, which happens to include ten chickens. Fortunately for me, these chickens are prolific producers, so when our friends go on vacation, we are the happy recipients of many  beautiful eggs. At first we revel in the most scrumptious omelets and scrambled concoctions. By day four or five, however, I admit to often having egg overload. Not this time. As soon as these eggs started appearing, I began thinking about Ramos Gin Fizzes because when made the old fashioned way, they contain an egg white. If you're like me, this news would normally bring a halt to my experimentation. But my new stock of farm fresh eggs gave me reason to carry on because they came from chickens that I have watched cluck and roost, and that makes all the differen