Skip to main content

Respecting Our Elders

Many moons ago I set out on an adventure to bike around New Zealand. Looking back all these years later, I realize how Lewis and Clark it was of me to set off by myself to such unknown territory on a bike I had not ridden all that much with a tool kit I had barely touched. Such is the naivety of youth that allows us to head off on such an adventure without any second thoughts about the "what ifs".
Two days into my expedition, having  consulted  my "Cycle Touring in the North Island of New Zealand" book, I left the small village of Kaitaia to ride up to Cape Reinga, the northern most point on the island. Surrounded by beach and water on all sides, I envisioned paradise. What I had not envisioned was the condition of the road out to Cape Reinga. As I poured over this book in the weeks leading up to my departure, I often came over the words "sealed" and "unsealed" as descriptions for roads. I figured that unsealed roads were probably just a little bit more rough in the same way that I figured I could manage just fine with a tiny tool kit for a two-month excursion. Details, details.

Halfway up the Cape, I decided to take a side road to a beach to spend my first night out in the wilds of New Zealand. A hundred yards into this detour, I realized that "unsealed" meant "get off and walk" for one on a loaded touring bike with skinny tires. A mile into this slog, a jeep pulled up alongside me and offered to give me a lift. Now, I know what you're thinking: new country, solo female traveler, two males offering a ride, recipe for disaster. But this was New Zealand, after all, and the passenger was an 83-year-old man named George who was soon to become my new best friend. I accepted the ride, spent a wonderful night on the beach, and then slogged back out to the main road the following morning.

As I set out to finish my trek to the Cape, I was startled by a small camper that was beeping its horn at me. Who could possibly be honking at me in this country that became home just three days earlier? George and his wife Mabel. As we sat inside their camper drinking tea and eating homemade cookies, I learned that they were from Auckland, had toured on bikes through Europe, and they said if I was ever in Auckland they would be happy to put me up for the night. George then said, "If you come on a Sunday, I'll take you out on a ride with the Auckland Cycle Touring Association."


Fast forward three weeks, and there I was in Auckland (Papatoetoe to be exact, pronounced "Papa-toy-toy" -- the best sounding town on the planet) visiting George and Mabel who treated me to a lovely dinner and slide show of recent travels. After four hours in their presence I felt like a long lost granddaughter. The following day was our Sunday ride, which I anticipated would be a nice stroll in the park without my panniers. George failed to mention, however, that the Auckland Cycle Touring Association was preparing for a "century ride" (100 miler) in just a few weeks. He also failed to mention that one of the members of this very grey-haired group had ridden in the Berlin Olympics. Details, details. My leisurely Sunday ride was anything but and was filled with unsealed roads that these guys rode over effortlessly. I was schooled that day, but I loved every moment. These men, George in particular, taught me about the art of aging gracefully. As a 25-year-old I had little appreciation for just how important a lesson that was to receive at such a young age.

So why recount a tale from the ancient past? A few weeks ago my friend Kelly invited me to go to a seminar at a local nursery on gartending -- the blending of common garden plants in beverages. Right up my alley! The speaker, Beth Evans-Ramos, was an energetic, grey-haired woman who instantly made me think about George and Mabel. Setting out on a new post-retirement career, she re-energized in me that adage of doing what you love, no matter your age. Life is full of adventure if you're willing to let it into your life. I could go on forever about all the fun tips we learned in her class, but I've kept you long enough, so I will just send you to her website,
mamaknowshercocktails.com. How can you resist with a name like that?



I leave you with a drink I've been wanting to make for a long time, the Sidecar. I'm a huge fan of the NPR game show "Says You" and many months ago they included a section where the panelists had to guess the origin of various famous drinks. According to them, the Sidecar was created in a Parisian bar during World War I where it became the favorite drink of an American officer who regularly arrived by sidecar.  At closing time, the officer, not so fit for duty anymore, would then  be transported back to the base in the same trusty sidecar.  Many drink aficionados believe this story to be totally false, but how can you resist historical fiction? In honor of Beth Evans-Ramos and her love for infusions, I let the sugar for the glass rim blend with dried orange rind for a few days to add an additional splash of flavor.



Sidecar

1oz brandy
1oz.Cointreau
3/4 oz. fresh lemon juice

Chill your glass. While it's in the freezer, combine all the ingredients in a shaker with 5 or 6 ice cubes. Shake until nice and cold. Strain into a sugar-rimmed glass. Serve with a flamed orange peel. Check back to my Negroni recipe for that great video on the art of flaming an orange peel -- it's well worth a second or third viewing.

For the sugar, I collected the zest of half an orange and let it sit out overnight to dry. Then I added about a half cup of sugar and put the combo in a sealed container. After a second day I then strained out (most) of the rind before using the sugar to rim the glass. Drying slices of the peel would probably work just as well and would be easier to remove.

Salut to George and Mabel. Life is as full of adventure for as long as you are open to it.

PS. I was lucky enough to get only two flats during my entire biking adventure in New Zealand. And it's wonderful to be back to the blog!



Comments

  1. I have missed your blog and am happy to have you back too! That trip sounded amazing and the drink looks delicious. Happy hump day!!
    Xo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching Old Dogs New Tricks

During my second year of teaching I had a parent who prefaced every conversation by saying, "Well, you know, I AM a psychologist..." Code speak for, "You are a young, lowly teacher who knows nothing, so let me enlighten you." I WAS young and new at the profession, not wise to the realities of parenting, but I wasn't stupid. Midway through October, I did what most every teacher I know does when group dynamics call for a disruption -- I changed the seating order in my classroom. Now, had I been a psychologist, I would have known that this was a dangerous thing to do to kids. My psychologist parent helped me see the light. "I AM a psychologist," the conversation once again began, "and humans are creatures of habit. In a large lecture hall, students will naturally gravitate to the same seat, day after day. Your students are being harmed by this new seating arrangement." Now back in the day I had to go up to the school office to take phone calls b

Getting To the Root of the Matter

Curcuma longa is the botanical name for a plant whose rhizome harnesses incredible healing power. We know it as turmeric, the bright orange spice that is produced from the plant's root, and it has been used for over 4,500 years as an important part of Ayurveda, one of the world's oldest forms of medicine. Like snow to the native people of Alaska, turmeric has over a hundred different terms in the Ayurvedic world. Jayanti , one victorious over diseases, relates to the lengthy list of health maladies this powerful spice has been used to fight: inflammation, cholesterol, heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis, digestion, gallstones, cuts and burns, colds and sore throats, and (my favorite) leech bites. Matrimanika , beautiful as moonlight, is another name for the versatile spice and refers to its historical use in Indian wedding ceremonies where the bride and groom rub a paste with turmeric all over their bodies, providing them each with a special glow and promise of matrimonial pr

Cheaper by the Dozen

Beautiful, aren't they? There's something about farm fresh eggs that almost makes me want to quit my day job and become a lady farmer. Almost. For now I will settle for my son's occasional post as head keeper of a friend's menagerie, which happens to include ten chickens. Fortunately for me, these chickens are prolific producers, so when our friends go on vacation, we are the happy recipients of many  beautiful eggs. At first we revel in the most scrumptious omelets and scrambled concoctions. By day four or five, however, I admit to often having egg overload. Not this time. As soon as these eggs started appearing, I began thinking about Ramos Gin Fizzes because when made the old fashioned way, they contain an egg white. If you're like me, this news would normally bring a halt to my experimentation. But my new stock of farm fresh eggs gave me reason to carry on because they came from chickens that I have watched cluck and roost, and that makes all the differen