Skip to main content

Two Roads Diverge

Generally speaking, when I start a project I'm likely to see it through to its end. I'm naturally suspicious of people with grandiose plans and have sometimes scoffed at those individuals for spouting out ideas that seem questionable at best and nearly impossible to actually complete. It's taken me a long time to recognize that it's really just a matter of style and personality. I'm the winter stew, simmering forever before presenting itself with its finished flavors. I mull ideas in my head for a long time before sharing them with others. When I say I am going to do something, I want to be able to follow through. For better or for worse, that's just who I am.

I started this blog almost five years ago (pause. sigh. time does indeed fly). When I began I had every intention of getting through all 50 drinks because, well,  that's just who I am. But then I started teaching full time, and the busy-ness of life, work, and parenthood stepped in to thwart this well-simmered plan. As one who feels a compelling need to finish what she starts, this did not sit well with me. Ideas of new blog entries would pop into my head, but the energy to follow through always fell by the wayside. Perhaps, I rationed, this was destined become a much longer project than initially intended.

But here we are two thirds of the way through 2017 and a few things have changed in my life. A year ago my husband and I became empty nesters, a life event that I could probably attach at least ten drinks to in the course of this blog. Then last winter I decided that I would stop teaching at the end of the school year, another large life-altering change to which I am sure I could attach at least another twenty drinks.

So instead of greeting a new class of students this week, I am sitting back down to my long lost blog. What comes next for me? I honestly wish I had an answer because I have been simmering this stew for a good nine months, but the flavors just haven't melded together yet. I pondered my future in teaching many times over the years and made a few detours along the way. It was a great gig as a working parent and my 3-mile commute couldn't be beat. But like my unfinished blog project, my career life feels like a work in progress that I need to address while there is time and energy to do so.

It's uncomfortable to step outside of one's comfort zone, that's for sure. I'm trying to unleash the dreamer in me, sharing and testing out new ideas before they are all simmered and complete, in hopes of embracing the process, which I am sure will be bumpy.  I've had a drink in mind for about a month now, ever since my brother came for a visit and accompanied me on a tour of our local whiskey distillery. This is one of those drinks that initially may sound like an ill-fated pairing of flavors, but in reality it works. Quite well. Some creative soul threw caution to the wind and added wine to a whiskey sour. May I be so bold in my new adventure. Cheers.

New York Sour (with a history, ironically, that started in Chicago in the 1880s)

2 ounces rye whiskey (you could use bourbon, but I think rye's spicy flavors are best for sours)
3/4 to 1 ounce fresh lemon juice
3/4 to 1 ounce simple syrup
1/2 ounce red wine (Malbec, Syrah, or Rioja are commonly recommended)

I'm being wishy-washy with amounts because we all have our own palettes and should adjust accordingly. I tend to go with more lemon and less sugar. You will sometimes see the option of adding one egg white to get some additional froth. You'll have to make the call on that one. If you shake the drink enough, I personally think you get enough froth without the added egg white.


To make the drink:
Pour all the ingredients (except the wine) into a shaker filled with ice. Shake for a good 30 seconds, long enough for the shaker to get nice and cold. Strain into a cocktail glass filled with ice. Pour the wine over the back of a large spoon to get the float and impress your guests. I find this easier to do when pouring right from the bottle instead of a jigger. Just use your eyes to get a thin layer of wine. Right before I took this photo, the ice cubes moved and dispersed the wine deeper into the drink. Ultimately, that's how you want to drink it anyway so you get the mix of flavors. Garnish with a slice of orange if desired.




Comments

  1. Nice to see your blog back. This theme of cocktails reminds me so much of our parents!
    Good luck with next steps on your path too.
    Xo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching Old Dogs New Tricks

During my second year of teaching I had a parent who prefaced every conversation by saying, "Well, you know, I AM a psychologist..." Code speak for, "You are a young, lowly teacher who knows nothing, so let me enlighten you." I WAS young and new at the profession, not wise to the realities of parenting, but I wasn't stupid. Midway through October, I did what most every teacher I know does when group dynamics call for a disruption -- I changed the seating order in my classroom. Now, had I been a psychologist, I would have known that this was a dangerous thing to do to kids. My psychologist parent helped me see the light. "I AM a psychologist," the conversation once again began, "and humans are creatures of habit. In a large lecture hall, students will naturally gravitate to the same seat, day after day. Your students are being harmed by this new seating arrangement." Now back in the day I had to go up to the school office to take phone calls b

Getting To the Root of the Matter

Curcuma longa is the botanical name for a plant whose rhizome harnesses incredible healing power. We know it as turmeric, the bright orange spice that is produced from the plant's root, and it has been used for over 4,500 years as an important part of Ayurveda, one of the world's oldest forms of medicine. Like snow to the native people of Alaska, turmeric has over a hundred different terms in the Ayurvedic world. Jayanti , one victorious over diseases, relates to the lengthy list of health maladies this powerful spice has been used to fight: inflammation, cholesterol, heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis, digestion, gallstones, cuts and burns, colds and sore throats, and (my favorite) leech bites. Matrimanika , beautiful as moonlight, is another name for the versatile spice and refers to its historical use in Indian wedding ceremonies where the bride and groom rub a paste with turmeric all over their bodies, providing them each with a special glow and promise of matrimonial pr

Cheaper by the Dozen

Beautiful, aren't they? There's something about farm fresh eggs that almost makes me want to quit my day job and become a lady farmer. Almost. For now I will settle for my son's occasional post as head keeper of a friend's menagerie, which happens to include ten chickens. Fortunately for me, these chickens are prolific producers, so when our friends go on vacation, we are the happy recipients of many  beautiful eggs. At first we revel in the most scrumptious omelets and scrambled concoctions. By day four or five, however, I admit to often having egg overload. Not this time. As soon as these eggs started appearing, I began thinking about Ramos Gin Fizzes because when made the old fashioned way, they contain an egg white. If you're like me, this news would normally bring a halt to my experimentation. But my new stock of farm fresh eggs gave me reason to carry on because they came from chickens that I have watched cluck and roost, and that makes all the differen