Skip to main content

Pure Summer

When I was a senior in high school, I remember the buzz surrounding some of my classmates who were applying to Stanford. Unlike most application essay questions at the time, the Stanford question was always unique and interesting. That particular year's question was this: use one adjective to describe yourself and explain why that adjective best fits you. I never had to ponder the adjective question because I knew that this was a school beyond my reach, so I lived vicariously through friends more willing to test their mettle with Stanford's admissions staff. One friend, in particular, decided to write the most gutsy college essay ever and describe herself with just three words: I am succinct. End of essay. Not only did this friend graduate from Stanford, but she is now an English professor. I just love that story.

Now it's my turn to be succinct with you. Very simply, I want you to stop what you are doing and go out and buy some summer berries while they are still available because I have a delicious dessert for you to make. This dessert is based, yet again, on an Ina Garten recipe, and the best thing about this recipe is that it includes limoncello. Long ago I introduced you to this liqueur with a drink called the limoncello sparkle. The liqueur itself is another tasty concoction that comes only in large and expensive bottles -- clearly the way manufacturers of liqueurs stay in business -- and these bottles require you to constantly keep your eyes out for recipes that will allow you to feel better about dropping forty or fifty bucks on a single bottle. I have several of these bottles in my pantry now, which is probably why I get unusually giddy when I find a way to cure my buyer's remorse. So feast your eyes on this lovely fruit salad with limoncello:


Now I will admit that Ina's picture is better. She has her fruit in a beautiful glass bowl and everything looks perfect, but I'm pretty sure she used some food photography trickery like using mayonnaise instead of greek yogurt. I would never stoop to such foolery. My yogurt is real and sourced from a local dairy, so even though my presentation might not be as sophisticated as Ina's, I assure you the flavor is delicious. I adjusted her recipe so that you can alter it depending on how many you are serving. So really -- stop what you are doing so that you can make this dessert tonight. And know that I am always on the lookout for more limoncello recipes to fend off your buyers' remorse. Enjoy!

Fruit Salad with Limoncello
(adapted from Ina Garten's Back to Basics cookbook)

Collection of summer berries -- I used strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries
One banana

Mix the berries together in a bowl and then gently fold in the banana. I make roughly 1 cup per person. Add 1 teaspoon of sugar and 1 teaspoon of limoncello per serving. Allow the fruit to sit for about five minutes so that all those ingredients will macerate nicely. Such a harsh-sounding word for such a wonderful outcome.

Meanwhile, you can start putting the topping together in a separate bowl. This part of the recipe will be enough for four servings. If there are only two of you at the table, I guarantee you will find a way to use up the rest of the yogurt. Whisk together 4 ounces of plain Greek yogurt (Fage is my favorite when I cannot get the real stuff locally), 1 teaspoon of sugar and 1 teaspoon of lemon curd (I found mine at World Market but many grocery stores carry this), and a very small splash of vanilla. As always, feel free to adjust according to your own taste buds.

Serve the fruit in beautiful glass bowls if you own some and then add a dollop of the yogurt on top. Decorate with a sprig of fresh. This is pure summer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching Old Dogs New Tricks

During my second year of teaching I had a parent who prefaced every conversation by saying, "Well, you know, I AM a psychologist..." Code speak for, "You are a young, lowly teacher who knows nothing, so let me enlighten you." I WAS young and new at the profession, not wise to the realities of parenting, but I wasn't stupid. Midway through October, I did what most every teacher I know does when group dynamics call for a disruption -- I changed the seating order in my classroom. Now, had I been a psychologist, I would have known that this was a dangerous thing to do to kids. My psychologist parent helped me see the light. "I AM a psychologist," the conversation once again began, "and humans are creatures of habit. In a large lecture hall, students will naturally gravitate to the same seat, day after day. Your students are being harmed by this new seating arrangement." Now back in the day I had to go up to the school office to take phone calls b

Getting To the Root of the Matter

Curcuma longa is the botanical name for a plant whose rhizome harnesses incredible healing power. We know it as turmeric, the bright orange spice that is produced from the plant's root, and it has been used for over 4,500 years as an important part of Ayurveda, one of the world's oldest forms of medicine. Like snow to the native people of Alaska, turmeric has over a hundred different terms in the Ayurvedic world. Jayanti , one victorious over diseases, relates to the lengthy list of health maladies this powerful spice has been used to fight: inflammation, cholesterol, heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis, digestion, gallstones, cuts and burns, colds and sore throats, and (my favorite) leech bites. Matrimanika , beautiful as moonlight, is another name for the versatile spice and refers to its historical use in Indian wedding ceremonies where the bride and groom rub a paste with turmeric all over their bodies, providing them each with a special glow and promise of matrimonial pr

Cheaper by the Dozen

Beautiful, aren't they? There's something about farm fresh eggs that almost makes me want to quit my day job and become a lady farmer. Almost. For now I will settle for my son's occasional post as head keeper of a friend's menagerie, which happens to include ten chickens. Fortunately for me, these chickens are prolific producers, so when our friends go on vacation, we are the happy recipients of many  beautiful eggs. At first we revel in the most scrumptious omelets and scrambled concoctions. By day four or five, however, I admit to often having egg overload. Not this time. As soon as these eggs started appearing, I began thinking about Ramos Gin Fizzes because when made the old fashioned way, they contain an egg white. If you're like me, this news would normally bring a halt to my experimentation. But my new stock of farm fresh eggs gave me reason to carry on because they came from chickens that I have watched cluck and roost, and that makes all the differen