Skip to main content

A Sense of Style

Some people collect stamps, others recipes. I seem to have a penchant for shoes, but let me just say that mine is not a typical collection because it has an extreme lack of diversity. To be honest, I was a little horrified the other day to look down in my closet and realize that perhaps, just perhaps, I had gone over the edge. You decide.




Now, I have my justifiable reasons -- don't we all? My feet have always had issues, just ask my sister. For years she kept track of my toenails, or lack thereof. After years of running, hiking, skiing, and spending time in large, clunky boots with low arches that don't prevent my toes from slamming into the front of those boots, I have bruised (and lost) many a toenail. Nowadays, my feet are cursed by plantar fasciitis. If you've never suffered from this ailment, may you pray to the feet gods that you never do. This tends to be one of those aging problems. Your arches sink over time, which is not a good thing if you didn't have high ones to start off with. That's where the Danskos and Birkenstocks come in to offer support to my sinking arches.

 I also have bunions, which I learned more than ten years ago -- long before I had crested the hill. I was in Sun Valley trying on some new hiking boots (so I could crush a few more toenails), and a strapping young salesman looked down at my feet and said, "You know, you would be wise to go with a wider shoe because of your bunions." "My what??" I replied, horrified.  In my mind, bunions went with little old ladies with blue hair, not an athletic mom like myself. It was at that same moment I realized that strapping young salesmen saw absolutely nothing in 40-year-old, bunion-laden women. It was a dark day, indeed.

A while back I read an interview in the New York Times Magazine with some famous woman. I was not aware of who she was, but I will never forget one little comment she made about women's fashion, specifically regarding shoes. She questioned the sanity of any woman who would wear concrete blocks on her feet in lieu of a cute pair of feminine flats. Although she didn't name the brand, I knew immediately that she was talking about my beloved Danskos. Now I recognize that they are neither ladylike nor sexy, but I have embraced my lack of style, and my feet are happier for it.

Now it might make sense to pass along a granola recipe with this post, but I'm going to do quite the opposite. As I sit typing in one of my many beloved sets of concrete blocks, I share a recipe for a very delicate and sophisticated drink, the Brandy Crusta. This drink has been around for more than a hundred and fifty years and beckons to be sipped in a cute floral party dress with accompanying dainty shoes. The Brandy
Crusta was developed in the deep South, so you might have to use your imagination if you, too, having aging feet.  I guarantee, however, that the taste is delicious, no matter what you're wearing.

Brandy Crusta
adapted from Dale DeGroff

1 1/2 ounce brandy
1/4 ounce maraschino liqueur
1/4 ounce Cointreau
1/4 ounce fresh lemon juice
1/4 ounce simple syrup
lemon-peel spiral
sugar to rim the glass

Combine the brandy, maraschino liqueur, Cointreau, lemon juice and simple syrup in a mixing glass. Using a small cordial glass, rim the glass with a wedge of lemon and then carefully dip the outside of the glass in a plate of fine sugar. Strain the drink (with a fine strain) into the glass and add the lemon-peel spiral. Make sure to delicately lift your pinky as you drink. Simply lovely, dahling.

Comments

  1. Once again you have written on a topic that is dear to my heart(and feet). Just yesterday I was looking at a clothing catalog with Mom and I pointed out the type of shoe you are referring to as being perfectly ugly for me.
    For the record, I had bunion surgery last Sept(9 weeks on crutches) but it makes me feel that much safer in my Naot "hobbits" shoes:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found these pictures highly amusing. And the story about your bunions. Sorry. And this is Shannon, not my 17-year old son. That would be creepy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching Old Dogs New Tricks

During my second year of teaching I had a parent who prefaced every conversation by saying, "Well, you know, I AM a psychologist..." Code speak for, "You are a young, lowly teacher who knows nothing, so let me enlighten you." I WAS young and new at the profession, not wise to the realities of parenting, but I wasn't stupid. Midway through October, I did what most every teacher I know does when group dynamics call for a disruption -- I changed the seating order in my classroom. Now, had I been a psychologist, I would have known that this was a dangerous thing to do to kids. My psychologist parent helped me see the light. "I AM a psychologist," the conversation once again began, "and humans are creatures of habit. In a large lecture hall, students will naturally gravitate to the same seat, day after day. Your students are being harmed by this new seating arrangement." Now back in the day I had to go up to the school office to take phone calls b

Getting To the Root of the Matter

Curcuma longa is the botanical name for a plant whose rhizome harnesses incredible healing power. We know it as turmeric, the bright orange spice that is produced from the plant's root, and it has been used for over 4,500 years as an important part of Ayurveda, one of the world's oldest forms of medicine. Like snow to the native people of Alaska, turmeric has over a hundred different terms in the Ayurvedic world. Jayanti , one victorious over diseases, relates to the lengthy list of health maladies this powerful spice has been used to fight: inflammation, cholesterol, heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis, digestion, gallstones, cuts and burns, colds and sore throats, and (my favorite) leech bites. Matrimanika , beautiful as moonlight, is another name for the versatile spice and refers to its historical use in Indian wedding ceremonies where the bride and groom rub a paste with turmeric all over their bodies, providing them each with a special glow and promise of matrimonial pr

Cheaper by the Dozen

Beautiful, aren't they? There's something about farm fresh eggs that almost makes me want to quit my day job and become a lady farmer. Almost. For now I will settle for my son's occasional post as head keeper of a friend's menagerie, which happens to include ten chickens. Fortunately for me, these chickens are prolific producers, so when our friends go on vacation, we are the happy recipients of many  beautiful eggs. At first we revel in the most scrumptious omelets and scrambled concoctions. By day four or five, however, I admit to often having egg overload. Not this time. As soon as these eggs started appearing, I began thinking about Ramos Gin Fizzes because when made the old fashioned way, they contain an egg white. If you're like me, this news would normally bring a halt to my experimentation. But my new stock of farm fresh eggs gave me reason to carry on because they came from chickens that I have watched cluck and roost, and that makes all the differen