Skip to main content

Double Vision

Remember those ads for Evelyn Wood speed reading classes? The ones where people simply turned the pages in the books they were reading and voila! The books were fully read and comprehended. Those ads always appealed to my need for project completion. When I start working on something, I like to keep working until it is finished. No interruptions. I marvel at people who have five or six books on their nightstands that they are reading simultaneously. How can you possibly do this? To me that feels like cheating those characters out of their due respect while having a quick fling with someone else in a completely different story. Maybe that's a bit harsh, and maybe I just need to embrace the art of multitasking. But remember I'm 50 years old and old dogs...well, some just like to go one book at a time.

Last December I set a goal: 50 drinks in my 50th year. Research, concoct, photograph, and blog. I sit at 21, and I am well past the halfway mark. This does not sit well with me. If Evelyn Wood offered a speed blogging class, I would sign myself up immediately. I thought the summer would give me a chance to get ahead, but you've probably noticed a slight bit of lethargy. It's not really lethargy, it's the incredibly beautiful summer we've had. Sitting down in front of a computer does not have the same appeal on a sunny 80-degree day as it does on a cold and dreary one. I am behind and the new school year is bearing down upon me. I fear this goal will not be reached because there have just been too many other flings worth the detour.

But instead of lamenting my slow progress, I'm sending a detour your way. My friend Deborah threw a party last night with a theme: Double. Every food and drink item had to relate to doubles. It was a birthday party for her husband. Well, it was a party disguised not to be a birthday party for someone who was turning 55. Double fives. On the menu were double cheeseburgers, twice-baked potatoes, some cheese from a couple who had bought twice as much as they needed recently for a party they threw, double chocolate brownies, and so on. As you can see there was a certain amount of creativity allowed in determining how to fit the theme. When Deborah called to invite us, I had a cocktail book open on my lap and was looking at a drink with two straws. That seemed a bit lame until I thought a bit more on the ingredients: two types of alcohol, two types of fruit juice, two types of grapes. And the name, Pink Flamingo, brings to mind a bird whose most distinct feature is its two legs. This drink was meant for this party and conveniently there was both a single serving and pitcher-sized recipe. So the pink flamingo was my contribution to the double-themed party and is now my detour for you. Good luck resisting.

Pink Flamingo
as adapted from The Modern Mixologist by Tony Abou-Ganim

11/2 oz. Absolut Citron vodka
1/2 oz. Luxardo Maraschino liqueur
2 oz fresh lemon sour (you make this by combining 1 oz. of fresh lemon juice and 1 oz. simple syrup)
1/2 oz. white grape juice
1 oz. pomegranate juice

Mix all ingredients in a shaker with ice until well blended. Strain into an ice-filled Collins glass. Garnish with lemon slices and green and red sliced grapes.

Batch Recipe
750 ml. bottle of Absolut Citron vodka
6 oz. Maraschino liqueur
44 oz. lemonade (or fresh lemon sour if you want to squeeze a ton of lemons. I used Odwalla, which is less sweet than some lemonade.)
20 oz. white grape juice
20 oz. pomegranate juice

Mix all ingredients in advance along with 10 to 12 slices of lemon. When ready to serve, transfer to an ice-filled pitcher. Add fresh lemon slices and grape slices to each cup.

**A note about Maraschino liqueur: this is a fairly rare liqueur made from Marasca cherries found in Italy. It is a clear liqueur made from distilling the cherries and then adding a separate distillate made from the crushed stones, which add a somewhat bitter-almond flavor. Luxardo is the cream of the crop apparently, but I used the Maraska brand. Even this liqueur nicely fit the double theme since both parts of the cherry were used to make it. Score. And now I'm up to 22.

Comments

  1. My guess is that the movie about the woman who made one recipe a day for a year with Julia Child's famous cookbook appealed to you:)
    This recipe sounds delicious AND I can't believe you are 50!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I do admire both Julias immensely. And yes, time does fly by. I, myself, am still trying to get used to Annette!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching Old Dogs New Tricks

During my second year of teaching I had a parent who prefaced every conversation by saying, "Well, you know, I AM a psychologist..." Code speak for, "You are a young, lowly teacher who knows nothing, so let me enlighten you." I WAS young and new at the profession, not wise to the realities of parenting, but I wasn't stupid. Midway through October, I did what most every teacher I know does when group dynamics call for a disruption -- I changed the seating order in my classroom. Now, had I been a psychologist, I would have known that this was a dangerous thing to do to kids. My psychologist parent helped me see the light. "I AM a psychologist," the conversation once again began, "and humans are creatures of habit. In a large lecture hall, students will naturally gravitate to the same seat, day after day. Your students are being harmed by this new seating arrangement." Now back in the day I had to go up to the school office to take phone calls b

Getting To the Root of the Matter

Curcuma longa is the botanical name for a plant whose rhizome harnesses incredible healing power. We know it as turmeric, the bright orange spice that is produced from the plant's root, and it has been used for over 4,500 years as an important part of Ayurveda, one of the world's oldest forms of medicine. Like snow to the native people of Alaska, turmeric has over a hundred different terms in the Ayurvedic world. Jayanti , one victorious over diseases, relates to the lengthy list of health maladies this powerful spice has been used to fight: inflammation, cholesterol, heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis, digestion, gallstones, cuts and burns, colds and sore throats, and (my favorite) leech bites. Matrimanika , beautiful as moonlight, is another name for the versatile spice and refers to its historical use in Indian wedding ceremonies where the bride and groom rub a paste with turmeric all over their bodies, providing them each with a special glow and promise of matrimonial pr

Cheaper by the Dozen

Beautiful, aren't they? There's something about farm fresh eggs that almost makes me want to quit my day job and become a lady farmer. Almost. For now I will settle for my son's occasional post as head keeper of a friend's menagerie, which happens to include ten chickens. Fortunately for me, these chickens are prolific producers, so when our friends go on vacation, we are the happy recipients of many  beautiful eggs. At first we revel in the most scrumptious omelets and scrambled concoctions. By day four or five, however, I admit to often having egg overload. Not this time. As soon as these eggs started appearing, I began thinking about Ramos Gin Fizzes because when made the old fashioned way, they contain an egg white. If you're like me, this news would normally bring a halt to my experimentation. But my new stock of farm fresh eggs gave me reason to carry on because they came from chickens that I have watched cluck and roost, and that makes all the differen