Skip to main content

Uno Dos Tres

Cinco de Mayo. Even if you never studied Spanish, you know this means that day in May when we eat Mexican food and drink Margaritas. What you may not know is why. Cinco de Mayo commemorates the Mexican army's  victory over France at the Battle of Puebla in 1862. You see, the year before this victory, Mexico was in financial ruin and needed to default on some loans from Europe. Britain and Spain were able to negotiate with Mexico, but those pesky French saw this as the perfect opportunity to finally grab a chunk of land on the other side of the Atlantic. Late in 1861 a large French fleet arrived and stormed the Mexican shores at Veracruz, forcing President Juarez to retreat. But in a great David and Goliath turn of events, Juarez put together a rag tag army of 2000 who, on May 5, 1862, fought a French army three times its size and won. Although the war went on for six more years before Napoleon III gave up and returned home to his cafes and croissants, this impressive battle lives on -- at least in the United States. Ironically, Cinco de Mayo is just another day in Mexico unless you're in the state of Pueblo where the famed battle occurred. There you might see a parade, but that's about it. In the United States, on the other hand, the day is seen as a celebration of all things Mexican. Those of us who are a bit more cynical see it as an opportunity for Party City and Hallmark to fill the gap between Easter and graduations. Nevertheless, even the cynic enjoys an opportunity to toast President Juarez with a tasty Margarita.

Tequila, I have learned, is as tricky as rum in that it comes in several different varieties, When you look at most recipes for Margaritas, they do not specify which type to use. Not wanting to lead you astray, I did some research. Tequila was first produced in the 15th century near the town of Tequila, and even today only "real" tequila comes from fermented agave that is grown in the state of Jalisco. There are two basic categories of tequila: mixtos and 100% agave. Mixtos use no less than 51% agave, with other sugars making up the remainder. Most recipes that I came across suggested using 100% agave.

Blanco or Silver:  this type is aged less than two months. It is best used for fruity drinks.
Golden or Joven: just like blanco but has caramel added. This type is a "mixtos".
Reposado: aged a minimum of two months but no more than a year in oak barrels. This is smoother than blanco and a good choice for Margaritas.
Anejo: aged at least one year in small oak barrels. Anejo tequila is best enjoyed on its own.
Extra anejo: aged a minimum of three years in oak barrels (this type has only been around since 2006). This is the smoothest of them all, or so I'm told.
Mezcal, made from a variety of agave plants (not just the blue variety that tequila comes from). This is the one with the worm folklore. Worms were placed in the bottle to prove that the alcohol content was high enough to preserve them. Top-quality mezcal does not have worms, just so you know.
 
Agave pinas

What's interesting about the agave plant is the growing and harvesting technique. To be successful requires the help of jimadores, men who have intimate knowledge of how the plants should be cultivated, and the process today remains a very manual one. Unlike most modern farming, the knowledge it takes to harvest agave has been passed down from generation to generation. Having learned this, I thought that choosing the perfect tequila for Margaritas would be easy. Given the antiquated technique for making it, I figured there couldn't be that many different types. Wishful thinking on my part. There are websites out there devoted solely to reviewing different types of tequila -- lots and lots of them. In the end I went with a reposado. Did I choose the best? I may never know, but the end result was very tasty.


Margaritas come in many forms, but my preference is to serve them on the rocks. You can also strain the ice when you serve the drink. Some recipes do not add a form of sugar, but I found this to be a little too strong, so I added some agave syrup. Surprisingly, the agave syrup was noticeably more subtle than simple syrup. Now you cannot mention a Margarita without talking about salt. Some like this addition, some don't. I used some Himalayan pink salt flakes and learned that the proper technique is to rub the outside  rim of the glass with a lime wedge.  The salt then sits on this outer edge so as not to overpower each sip. I dipped the outside edge of just three-quarters of the rim, giving the drinker a chance to decide whether to add a bit of salt to each sip.

Margarita
1 1/2 ounce tequila
1 ounce Cointreau
3/4 ounce fresh lime juice
1/4 ounce agave syrup
Lime slice for garnish

Add ingredients to shaker along with 5-6 ice cubes. Shake vigorously, pour into a chilled glass that has been rimmed with salt (optional), and add a lime wedge. Don your sombrero so you're ready for your post-happy hour siesta! Salud.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching Old Dogs New Tricks

During my second year of teaching I had a parent who prefaced every conversation by saying, "Well, you know, I AM a psychologist..." Code speak for, "You are a young, lowly teacher who knows nothing, so let me enlighten you." I WAS young and new at the profession, not wise to the realities of parenting, but I wasn't stupid. Midway through October, I did what most every teacher I know does when group dynamics call for a disruption -- I changed the seating order in my classroom. Now, had I been a psychologist, I would have known that this was a dangerous thing to do to kids. My psychologist parent helped me see the light. "I AM a psychologist," the conversation once again began, "and humans are creatures of habit. In a large lecture hall, students will naturally gravitate to the same seat, day after day. Your students are being harmed by this new seating arrangement." Now back in the day I had to go up to the school office to take phone calls b

Getting To the Root of the Matter

Curcuma longa is the botanical name for a plant whose rhizome harnesses incredible healing power. We know it as turmeric, the bright orange spice that is produced from the plant's root, and it has been used for over 4,500 years as an important part of Ayurveda, one of the world's oldest forms of medicine. Like snow to the native people of Alaska, turmeric has over a hundred different terms in the Ayurvedic world. Jayanti , one victorious over diseases, relates to the lengthy list of health maladies this powerful spice has been used to fight: inflammation, cholesterol, heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis, digestion, gallstones, cuts and burns, colds and sore throats, and (my favorite) leech bites. Matrimanika , beautiful as moonlight, is another name for the versatile spice and refers to its historical use in Indian wedding ceremonies where the bride and groom rub a paste with turmeric all over their bodies, providing them each with a special glow and promise of matrimonial pr

Cheaper by the Dozen

Beautiful, aren't they? There's something about farm fresh eggs that almost makes me want to quit my day job and become a lady farmer. Almost. For now I will settle for my son's occasional post as head keeper of a friend's menagerie, which happens to include ten chickens. Fortunately for me, these chickens are prolific producers, so when our friends go on vacation, we are the happy recipients of many  beautiful eggs. At first we revel in the most scrumptious omelets and scrambled concoctions. By day four or five, however, I admit to often having egg overload. Not this time. As soon as these eggs started appearing, I began thinking about Ramos Gin Fizzes because when made the old fashioned way, they contain an egg white. If you're like me, this news would normally bring a halt to my experimentation. But my new stock of farm fresh eggs gave me reason to carry on because they came from chickens that I have watched cluck and roost, and that makes all the differen