Skip to main content

Angostura Explained

Angostura bitters are old, really old. Dating back to 1824, the original recipe was developed by a German doctor who was living in Angostura, Venezuela and working as Surgeon General in Simon Bolivar's army. What slowly started as a medicinal concoction eventually made its way into food and drink. The centuries- old recipe is made today in Trinidad and Tobago. So why name a blog after Angosturo bitters? Well, for starters I just like the name. And how often do you use a product from Trinidad and Tobago? How often do you even think about that little country, other than every four years during the opening ceremony of the Summer Olympics? My sister, purveyor of all important information, was the first to introduce me to bitters when she shared her love for champagne cocktails. Upon tasting the sparkling concoction, I understood what the big deal was about this dark, medicinal liquid. Angostura bitters impart that special flavor that words cannot describe, and this lack of true definition is exactly what makes them so special. Muddy waters, indeed. I've always been drawn to people and things that don't easily fit into stereotypical boxes. And so I name my blog after a funky little bottle with an oversized label.


 My friend Kelly asked a question last weekend that I am still pondering. If I could go back in time, take back a decision made and re-work it, what would I change? At the time I though maybe I should have continued to lead bike trips (dating back half of my fifty years), which would have allowed me to do some incredible travelling. But the more I think about this question, the more I realize that with the bitter disappointments in life come the sweet moments that always put a smile on our faces, even when we think of them years later. I wouldn't trade those for anything. If I had veered off on a different course earlier in my life, it, too, would have produced the bitter and the sweet. There aren't always neat little adjectives to describe our motives and help us understand why we do what we do.  So in honor of all things bitter and sweet, all the decisions, good and bad, that help define who we are, here's a wonderful drink that is bound to help you remember those moments in life that  put a smile on your face. Skol!


Champagne Cocktail
Sugar cube
2 dashes of Angostura bitters
1 dash of Angostura orange bitters
3 to 4 ounces of champagne

Place the sugar cube in a champagne glass, add the dashes of bitters, and then pour the champagne. A perfect drink for the holidays or for someone celebrating her 50th birthday.

Comments

  1. You inspired me to check out the bottle of bitters we have in the liquor cabinet. Now it is time for true confessions. 1) my fifty year old eyes can't read the writing on the bottle; 2) i had no idea it actually had liquor in it;3)I wonder what the shelf life is for bitters-maybe it is hidden in all that tiny writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bitters have a very long shelf life -- they are medicinal after all. Their high alcohol content also helps preserve them. Besides, you're not old enough to have a bottle that's beyond its prime. Time to use them again!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching Old Dogs New Tricks

During my second year of teaching I had a parent who prefaced every conversation by saying, "Well, you know, I AM a psychologist..." Code speak for, "You are a young, lowly teacher who knows nothing, so let me enlighten you." I WAS young and new at the profession, not wise to the realities of parenting, but I wasn't stupid. Midway through October, I did what most every teacher I know does when group dynamics call for a disruption -- I changed the seating order in my classroom. Now, had I been a psychologist, I would have known that this was a dangerous thing to do to kids. My psychologist parent helped me see the light. "I AM a psychologist," the conversation once again began, "and humans are creatures of habit. In a large lecture hall, students will naturally gravitate to the same seat, day after day. Your students are being harmed by this new seating arrangement." Now back in the day I had to go up to the school office to take phone calls b

Getting To the Root of the Matter

Curcuma longa is the botanical name for a plant whose rhizome harnesses incredible healing power. We know it as turmeric, the bright orange spice that is produced from the plant's root, and it has been used for over 4,500 years as an important part of Ayurveda, one of the world's oldest forms of medicine. Like snow to the native people of Alaska, turmeric has over a hundred different terms in the Ayurvedic world. Jayanti , one victorious over diseases, relates to the lengthy list of health maladies this powerful spice has been used to fight: inflammation, cholesterol, heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis, digestion, gallstones, cuts and burns, colds and sore throats, and (my favorite) leech bites. Matrimanika , beautiful as moonlight, is another name for the versatile spice and refers to its historical use in Indian wedding ceremonies where the bride and groom rub a paste with turmeric all over their bodies, providing them each with a special glow and promise of matrimonial pr

Cheaper by the Dozen

Beautiful, aren't they? There's something about farm fresh eggs that almost makes me want to quit my day job and become a lady farmer. Almost. For now I will settle for my son's occasional post as head keeper of a friend's menagerie, which happens to include ten chickens. Fortunately for me, these chickens are prolific producers, so when our friends go on vacation, we are the happy recipients of many  beautiful eggs. At first we revel in the most scrumptious omelets and scrambled concoctions. By day four or five, however, I admit to often having egg overload. Not this time. As soon as these eggs started appearing, I began thinking about Ramos Gin Fizzes because when made the old fashioned way, they contain an egg white. If you're like me, this news would normally bring a halt to my experimentation. But my new stock of farm fresh eggs gave me reason to carry on because they came from chickens that I have watched cluck and roost, and that makes all the differen